Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Great Loss; RIP Ken Palmer


Yesterday, Oct 30th, 2013, I received the terrible news that my old friend Ken Palmer had passed following complications in his recovery from a recent heart transplant. I was devastated to say the least.

I have many memories that will keep Ken alive and with me for all my years but I dug out a cassette and found an interview I did with Ken in 1998 when I was host of CHRW's "For The Folk".

It's all very raw and unedited and is quite long, but despite the length and my stammering, it is classic Ken Palmer.

I hope that you will all take the time to listen as it gives some biographical background to Ken and to the Home County Folk Festival which at the time had just turned 25.

Ken was very influential in my life and was a good friend and mentor. I sometimes tried to say jokingly that I was his "sidekick" when we co-emceed the Home County Folk Festival. He would always correct me and say "Ah, ah, ah! You're NOT my sidekick... you're my partner!"

Click here for the full interview. It's 102MB and about an Hour and 28 minutes. Recorded late July 1998 at CHRW studios, UWO. Photo above by Derrick Hind 2007.

RIP "Big Kenny". Thanks for all of the great things you've done for all of us over the years. London and area is greatly indebted to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment